The St James and Emmanuel Academy Trust maintains oversight and responsibility for the continued growth and success of all our academies, ensuring that strong Christian faith foundations are maintained and built upon within each of our schools.
There are three tiers of governance within the Trust. These are: Members, Trustees and the Local Governing Boards. The Members and Trustees are all representatives of either the parishes our schools serve, or the Manchester Diocesan Board of Education. Parish Foundation Governors have a majority representation on local boards, which also include representatives from the parent and staff bodies.
The Members are legally and financially accountable for the performance of the schools within the Trust and for the overall financial viability of the Trust. For their full legal obligations and powers, please see the "Articles of Association" below.
The Members appoint the Directors/Trustees and delegate a number of key strategic responsibilities to them. Our Members meet annually to hold the Directors to account.
- Nick Bundock, St James & Emmanuel CE incumbent - Appointed 15/8/2013
- Greg Mauchline, St James & Emmanuel CE PCC - Appointed 17/3/2019
- Paul Good, Diocesan Board of Education - Appointed 22/1/2014
- Andrew Bradley, St Wilfrid’s CE incumbent - Appointed 1/6/2016
- Deborah Smith, Director of Education at Manchester Diocese - Appointed 1/07/2022
- Nick Bundock, St James & Emmanuel incumbent - Appointed 15/8/2013
- Paul Good, Diocesan Board of Education, Chair of DCE - Appointed 22/1/2014
- Miriam Jones, Human Resources PCC - Appointed 29/9/2016
- Sarah Storey, Finance CFO (not a trustee) - Appointed 1/9/2020
- Felicity Bradley, Chair of WDCE - Appointed 1/9/2021
- Geoff Stevenson, St Wilfrid’s PCC - Appointed 5/10/2016
- Lee Jamieson, Chair of St Elisabeth's - Appointed 29/1/2020
- Jo Lynch, PCC - Appointed 4/10/2017
- John Barrett, CEO - By virtue of role from 01/09/2022
- David Finch, PCC - Appointed 17/3/2019
- Ian Cole, PCC - Appointed 10/3/2021
Local Governing Board Chairs - 2022/23
|West Didsbury CE
|St Wilfrid's CE
|St Elisabeth's CE
There are ten Trustees, eight of whom are directly appointed representatives from St James and Emmanuel Church, St Wilfrid's CE Church, St Elisabeth's CE Church and the Manchester Diocesan Board of Education, along with the Chief Executive Officer, who is a direct appointment of the Members.
The Trustees take strategic decisions to improve performance across all Trust schools.
The Trustees meet formally once a term and receive reports from the committees (see below) and external auditors.
Committees of the Trust Board
Finance, Audit and Risk - The Finance, Audit & Risk Committee monitors the management accounts supplied by the Local Governing Body of each school and ensures its compliance with internal auditing requirements. They ensure that value for money is achieved and report directly to the Board of Trustees.
Pay and Remuneration - The Pay and Remuneration Committee will consider pay recommendations from Local Governing Boards and the Headteacher Appraisal Review Committee following the completion of each appraisal cycle.
Appraisal Review - The Appraisal Review Committee will meet to set targets and review the performance of school leaders. The committee will consist of representatives from the Board of Trustees, Local Governors, the Trust CEO and an external specialist.
Curriculum and Standards - The Curriculum and Standards Committee meets regularly to review progress towards key school improvement objectives in each of the Trust schools.
The Local Governing Boards
Local governing boards maintain oversight over the quality of the curriculum, teaching and learning, and progress towards school improvement targets. Local boards also maintain oversight over the appraisal process for teachers and are represented at Headteacher appraisal reviews and target setting meetings. Each Local Governing Board is responsible for monitoring the performance of the school budget and ensuring value for money.
All our Members, Trustees and Governors have to declare their pecuniary interests at the beginning of every meeting and confirm their eligibility to stand in public office annually.
All our Members, Trustees and Governors have current enhanced DBS checks.